The Watchet and District Choral Society was formed in 1941 with a membership of 40 - 50 and the first conductor was Mr.T. Young. Their first presentation was Stainer's Crucifixion.
In the 1940's the choir performed "Merrie England", "Tom Jones", " The Rebel Maid" and "The Holy City".
The proceeds of these concerts were donated to such charities as local churches, hospitals, Earls Haig's Fund, the Merchant Seaman's Comfort Fund and the Welcome Home Fund for Forces.
After the austerity of the 1940's, the choir began to broaden their repertoire with works such as "The Emerald Isle", "Olivet to Calvary" and "Les Cloches de Corneville".
To celebrate the Festival of Britain, the choir performed "Merrie England" and this was recorded by the BBC and broadcast on the West of England Home Service.
In 1953 the choir performed "A Princess of Kensington" to mark the coronation of Elizabeth II.
From 1954 until 1958 the choir had problems recruiting enough members but in 1959 numbers improved and the choir reprised several of their previous pieces.
The choir continued performing during the 1960's, still conducted by Mr. T. Young. Old favourites such as "Bethlehem", Stainer's Crucifixion and "Merrie England" were greatly enjoyed by the audiences. In 1967 the choir joined forces with a local drama group who interspersed their performance of "Olivet to Calvary" with costumed scenes.
In 1970 the choir joined forces with other local choirs to present Handel's "Messiah". The united choirs also performed "Bethlehem", Mendelssohn's "Elijah" and "The Holy City".
In 1974 the choir's conductor, Mr. T . Young passed away and his place was taken by Mr. Tom Bulpin and as a tribute to Mr.T.Young the choir performed "Bethlehem" and the proceeds donated to Cancer Research.
New works sung during this decade were Arthur Somervell's "The Passion of Christ", "The Holy Child" by Thomas Adams and "Gloria in Excelsis Deo" by Eric Thiman.
In 1979 Mr.Tom Bulpin had to withdraw as conductor due to ill health. Membership numbers had also started to decline but a choir member, Mrs. Marjorie Thorp, offered to take on the conductorship and the choir continued.
The 1980's found the choir membership growing again and Christmas offerings were Desmond Radcliffe's "Bethlehem's Babe" and John Rutter's "Shepherd's Pipe Carol".
In 1982, Mrs Pat Abbott took control of the conductor's baton, after the death of her mother, Mrs.Marjorie Thorp. With Pat Abbott at the helm, the choir grew in size and confidence and received excellent reviews for many of their concerts and performances.